Glenbower Wood is located in the village of Killeagh in East Cork.
The wood is a place of natural beauty, which is enjoyed by many people who use it as a perfect area for a walk.
Flowing through Glenbower is the Dissour River which gets it's name from the Gaelic "Dis" and "Ur" or "Twice Wetted", from the belief that in producing linen long ago, one wetting of the flax in the waters of the stream was as good as two wettings in other water.
Glenbower gets it's name of "gleann-bodhar" or "Deafening Glen" from the noise the Dissour makes when rushing headlong in winter through the valley. This glen and the surrounding area was known locally as the "Maiden Estate", to distinguish it from the other forfeited properties.
It remained in the same family since 1172, when, it is claimed, it was granted to Phillip de Cappell, lineal ancestor of Sir Arthur de Cappell Brooke, who in the 1830's built the present road and bridges through the wood.
The wood was acquired by the then Forest and Wildlife Service (now Coillte) in 1933 and many stands of coniferous trees were planted in the following decades. In recent years much of this timber has been felled and a replanting programme is ongoing.
This information was copied from the Glenbower Wood and Lake Co.Ltd. where more information is available from their website.
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007
Size: 9 items